PREP: 30 minutes
COOK: 2.5 hours
2.5 pounds of lamb neck, cut into large pieces
1 ounce butter
Oil, for frying
2 medium sized onions, roughly chopped
6 carrots, chopped lengthwise into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons pearl barley
5 cups chicken stock
1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme and bay leaf)
12 medium potatoes, washed and cut into halves
1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped
1 bunch chives
1) In a large pot, saute the onions in oil and butter.
2) Add the dried thyme and stir, then add the lamb and brown on high heat.
3) Add the carrots and pearl barley.
4) Pour in just enough chicken stock to barely cover the meat and vegetables.
5) Season with salt and pepper, and add bouquet garni.
6) Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours, do not boil.
7) Place potatoes on top of stew, then cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
8) Serve in large soup bowls. Garnish with parsley and chives. Enjoy!