BEEF POT ROAST
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 1 hour and 45 minutes
3 pound boneless beef chuck pot roast
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 small onions, cut into wedges
2 stalks celery, bias sliced into 1 inch pieces
1.5 cups water cold water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Dash of black pepper
1) Trim fat from meat. In a 4-6 quart dutch oven, brown roast in hot oil on all sides. Drain fat.
2) In a small bowl combine 1 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, basil and salt. Pour mixture over meat. Bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
3) Add carrot, potato, onion, and celery to pot. Return to boiling, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
4) Remove meat and vegetables from pot, and save the juices for gravy.
5) Skim fat from top of meat juices. If needed, add water so meat juice is equivalent to 1.5 cups of liquid. In a small bowl mix 1/2 cup of water with flour until smooth. Then stir mixture into pot with meat juices and heat until thick and bubbly. Season with pepper and stir 2 minutes longer.
6) Serve gravy over meat and vegetables. Enjoy!